From “Behind The Counter” – Read original article HERE
If you live in Greenville and wear sunglasses,chances are good they came from Fowler’s Pharmacy. Inside their unassuming cinder block building on Laurens Road – where they’ve been since 1955 – resides one of the largest collections of sunglasses in the country. Fowler’s started stocking sunglasses in 1974, when two salesmen offered Eugene “Doc” Estes the opportunity to be the first retail store to sell a new product – Ray-Ban Aviators.
Sunglasses were an immediate hit and over the years the optical offerings have expanded, to the point that Doc tapped his son-in-law, Dave Maney, to take over the eyewear side of things 14 years ago. Since that time the stock has grown from 4,000 to more than 8,000 pairs.
But Fowler’s is more than a sunglasses shop, it’s also an old-time pharmacy where Dave’s wife Judy Estes Maney is following in her father’s footsteps, serving as chief pharmacist for more than 30 years. Fowler’s isn’t like those big box pharmacies on every corner. They know their customers by name, where they live, and even keep charge accounts. Just like the good old days.